Things change, life happens, and your path may take you in a different direction. If that happens, you may one day want to close your Amazon seller account. Before you take the irreversible step of deleting it, make sure that your decision is firm as there is no way to undo it.
Deleting Your Amazon Seller Account is Permanent
Before you click on ‘close account,’ it is imperative that you understand a few things:
- Closing your account is final. There is no undo option once your seller’s account has been shut down. Make sure you are 100% sure of your decision. If you do change your mind, you will have to start over from scratch with Amazon.
- After you close your seller’s account, you will no longer have access to data like sales history, product data, or customer reviews.
- You won’t be able to communicate with your customers through Amazon once your seller’s account has been closed. If you are planning on continuing your online business through a different platform and are hoping to bring your customers with you, then you will have to build an email list or social media following before quitting Amazon.
Steps to Take Before Closing Your Account
There are a few things that you can do before you close your Amazon seller’s account that will make the process much easier. As with most things at Amazon, there is a clear procedure for closing accounts. Follow these steps before you officially shut things down:
- Fulfill and complete any outstanding orders.
- Suspend sales so you don’t get any new orders.
- Allow 90 days to pass without any new orders in order to honor any potential A-to-Z Guarantee claims.
- Make sure that all transactions, including refunds, are completed.
- Download any data that you might want to have access to after your account has been closed.
- If you have an Amazon FBA account, you will need to let Amazon know what you want them to do with your leftover inventory. Retrieving your inventory requires a request that is separate from your account closure request.
Once your account has been cleared and it is ready to close, you can request account closure from Amazon. Amazon will verify that everything is in order and that you’ve successfully completed the above stapes before issuing any final payments and shutting down your account.
It is important to note that you will have to shut down each regional account separately. If you have sellers accounts in North America, Europe, Japan and/or Australia, you will need to follow the above steps for each account individually. There is no global shut down feature.
Is Closure the Right Decision?
There are so many reasons that you may want to stop selling on Amazon, but you might want to consider a few options before permanently deleting your account. You can temporarily suspend your account or stop selling a certain product or products. You can also switch your account from professional status to individual status.
Learn more about running an Amazon business that works for you. At Wizards of Ecom, we have classes, workshops, a podcast and YouTube channel that can help you to make sure that shutting down your business is the right choice.