Pictures are worth a thousand words, or so the saying goes. With online shopping now rising to be the most common way to shop, sites like Amazon are selling millions of products through thousands of sellers. With these many products, there needs to be some unity in advertising including how the pictures are shown on the website. There are some ways to ensure that your product picture is the best that it can be. There are also some rules that need to be followed to ensure your pictures are allowed on the website.
Size and format compression for the best Amazon pictures
The minimum size that is allowed to be shown on Amazon is 500 px. Some will want to use a smaller picture to speed up the website and make it more efficient. However, there is one catch with using a smaller px size; if you choose to use the roll over zoom feature you will need to use a minimum of 1000px. Most pictures range from 1200-1600px and Amazon will not accept pictures over 10,000px. The size of the file can affect the efficiency of the site and the quality of the picture can make or break a sale.
The compression of the picture is also crucial. There are many compression formats available. Amazon does not accept EPS, AI or PS files. Amazon will accept GIF, TIF, JPEG (preferred) and PNG (not recommended unless few pictures). All formats can be in either RBG or CYMK formats. RBG is recommended for most pictures.
There are some picture formats that need to be followed in order to be accepted by Amazon:
- You need to use pure white background. If you are creating your background the color should be FFFFFF or RBG 255, 255, 255. It cannot be transparent or shades of white.
- There can be no borders. The product must fill 85% of the picture.
Rules for displaying pictures:
- No product can be displayed on a mannequin regardless of the color of flesh. If your product is on a mannequin, none of the mannequin should be visible.
- Human models cannot be laying down, leaning, sitting or kneeling. The only exceptions are for models who need mobile accessibility, or for mobile accessibility products.
- Children’s bathing suits or under clothing cannot be displayed on human models. Children’s clothing should be flat and photographed at as 45-degree angle.
- All products must be displayed outside their packaging. (Unless the packages are essential to the sale of the product.)
- You cannot add text, graphics placed over product, watermarks, logos or color blocks.
The pictures on your website are the biggest eye catcher for your products. There are rules guidelines that need to be followed to ensure that your product pictures are accepted by Amazon. You can only post nine product pictures and one should be reserved for a video, so make them count. If your pictures are not up to standards you may be losing potential customers.
For more information about e-commerce selling, click here.